It might sound like the ultimate gift for the festive season, a new puppy or a tiny kitten. But taking care of an animal brings along real-life responsibilities that need careful consideration beforehand. A companion animal is for life and not everyone is prepared to dedicate a significant amount of time and effort into taking care of an animal. Before you add a kitten or a puppy to the pile of presents under the tree, please consider these 4 questions carefully.
- Will they have the time to go for walks two or three times a day?
- Are they planning a big move next year?
- Can they afford any unplanned costs like trips to the vet, vaccinations, and food?
- Is anyone in the family allergic to cats or dogs?
- Visit a shelter
- Give a donation to a shelter
- Create a personal gift card
- Choose a shelter that is part of our A Companion Animal is For Life project